[Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy crash on numpy.tri(-1)

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu May 11 17:51:13 EDT 2006

Sorry about the lack of detail.  The platform is Windows.  I'm using
binaries off the Scipy website.
And by crash I mean a dialog pops up in my pycrust shell saying
"pythonw.exehas encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are
sorry for the
inconvenience", and then asks me if I want to send Microsoft an error
report.

Perhaps it is fixed in a more recent version of numpy, though.

--bb

On 5/12/06, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bill Baxter wrote:
> > Subject says it all.  numpy.tri(-1) crashes the python process.

> > '0.9.6'
>
> On OS X:

> array([], shape=(0, 0), dtype=int32)
> '0.9.7.2476'
>
> While probably not "right" in any sense of the word, it doesn't crash in
> recent
> versions.
>
> In the future, it would be good to post the output of the crash. Sometimes
> people use the word "crash" to imply that an exception made it to the
> toplevel
> rather than, say, a segfault at the C level. Knowing what kind of "crash"
> is
> important. With segfaults, it is also usually helpful to know the platform
> you
> are on. With segfaults in linear algebra code, it is extremely helpful to
> know
> what BLAS and LAPACK you used to compile numpy.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Robert Kern

> enigma
> that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it
> had
> an underlying truth."
>   -- Umberto Eco

William V. Baxter III