[Numpy-discussion] basearray / arraykit

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed May 10 13:55:04 EDT 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:

> Since I'm actually messing with trying to untangle arraykit from
> multiarray right now, let me ask you a question: there are several
> functions in arrayobject.c that look like they should be part of the
> API. Notably:
>
>    PyArray_CopyObject

>    PyArray_MapIterNew
>    PyArray_MapIterBind
>    PyArray_GetMap
>    PyArray_MapIterReset
>    PyArray_MapIterNext
>    PyArray_SetMap
>    PyArray_IntTupleFromIntp
>
> However, they don't appear to show up. They also aren't in
> *_api_order.txt, where I presume the list of all exported functions
> lives. Is this on purpose, or is it an oversight?

Some of these are an oversight.

The Mapping-related ones require a little more explanation, though.
Initially I had thought to allow mapping iterators to live independently
of array indexing.  But, it never worked out that way.    I think they
could be made part of the API, but they need to be used correctly
together.  In partciular, you can't really "re-bind" another array to a
mapping interator.  You have to create a new one, so it may be a little
confusing.

But, I see no reason to not let these things out on their own.

-Travis