[Numpy-discussion] Why cblas not blas?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue May 2 07:53:05 EDT 2006

Hi,

On 5/2/06, Stephan Tolksdorf <andorxor at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Piotr,
>
> thanks for the informative answer!
>
> My worry was that the additional level of indirection of the Netlib
> cblas wrapper might notably slow down calculations (at least for small
> matrices).

Atlas *is* a bit slow for small, dense matrices due to its generality. It
also produces very large binaries when statically linked. For numpy I think
this is fine, but if you want high performance with small matrices and need
small binaries you will do better rolling your own routines.

I think the Goto code for some architectures has been moved into Atlas, but
I don't recall which ones offhand. Pearu is probably the expert for those
sort of questions.

Chuck