[Numpy-discussion] complex comparisons

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 20 10:15:27 EST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Tim Hochberg wrote:
>
>>I just noticed that complex arrays can be compared using [<, <=, > and
>>
>>>=]. Do we really want  this? I'd prefer to follow numarray's lead
>>
>>here and only support [==, !=] on complex arrays.
>>

> MATLAB has always provided complex comparisons by comparing the real
> part, so there is signifcant precedence for this.
>
> Anybody coming from MATLAB will appreciate it because while technically
> complex numbers are not ordered, often complex arrays are the result of
> calculations that result in real numbers but the data-type is still
> complex.
>
> But, now that .real and .imag work on *all* array data-types it is not
> an absolute necessity to support complex comparisons.  I just think it's
> convenient and not especially confusing.

Well, I think this is one of those cases where we should strive more for
uniformity with /Python/ than with matlab:

In [18]: 1j<2j
exceptions.TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent
call last)

/home/fperez/<ipython console>

TypeError: cannot compare complex numbers using <, <=, >, >=

Just my 1e-2j :)