[Numpy-discussion] numexpr

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Wed Mar 8 17:12:05 EST 2006

I made some more changes to numexp including adding the optimiztions to
pow that we earlier added to numpy. It would be nice to have some way to
select the level of optimization. That way, we could work on very
aggressive optimization without worrying about messing someone up later
who would can't tolerate the moderate accuracy loss. The only idea I
have thus far is to create a new Expression each time, instead of just
using the precreated 'E'. This would allow us to pass in a context to
Expression and this could be passed onto the Nodes that were
subsequently created from it so that it would be available where it's
needed.

That may not make any sense to anyone but David, but I invite you look
numexpr/expression.py and numexpr/compiler.py. Then it'll be clear
as,..., well clear as something.

-tim