[Numpy-discussion] New release coming

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Mar 8 15:45:16 EST 2006

Sven Schreiber wrote:

>Travis Oliphant schrieb:
>

>>I think it's time for a new release of NumPy.   There have been several
>>important bug-fixes and speed improvements recently.
>>
>>Please log any outstanding issues to the ticket system on
>>http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/timeline
>>

>Don't know if it qualifies as an outstanding issue, but may I ask about
>the status of making matrix decompositions (and ideally some other
>functions as well, like lstsq for example) preserve matrix types?

We should be doing better in this regard.

The __array_wrap__  is being applied (correctly now) in all the linalg
functions, so that matrices are returned if they are used.

All the ufuncs already preserve arguments.

But, we should also peruse the code for asarray calls, save the
__array_wrap__ method if available and wrap back the results so that
types can be preserved.

Someone spoke of writing a decorator to do that automatically which
would indeed be nice.

If you have examples of functions that are not being preserved, please
report them.

-Travis