[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 09:24:11 EDT 2006

Hi,
You should be encouraged by the trend from Numeric to numarray because
the tar users clearly are prepared to upgrade.

In terms of the education program, the 1.0 release is the best
starting point as there is a general phobia for pre-1.0 releases (and
dot zero releases).

Also, Python 2.5 is coming so it probably a good time to attempt to
educate the exe users on numpy. One way is to provide numpy first (it
may be a little too harsh to say only) so people see it when they
upgrade.

There are two key aspects that are probably very much related that
needs to happen with the 1.0 release:
1) Identify those "[s]econdary dependency" projects as Louis states
(BioPython also comes to mind) and get them to convert.
2) Get the major distros (e.g. openSUSE) to include numpy and not
Numeric. In turn this should also make people who packages (like rpms)
also use numpy.

This may mean having to support both Numeric and numpy in the initial phase.

Regards
Bruce