[Numpy-discussion] installation problems: stupid question

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 13:54:28 EDT 2006

Eric Emsellem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just switched to Suse 10.1 (from Suse 10.0) and for some reason now
> the new installed modules do not go under
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ as usual but under
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/
> (the "local" is the difference).
>
> How can I go back to the normal setting ?

You can edit ~/.pydistutils.cfg to add this section:

[install]
prefix=/usr

However, Suse probably made the change for a reason. Distribution vendors like
to control /usr and let the user/sysadmin do what he wants in /usr/local . It is
generally a Good Idea to respect that. If the Suse python group is not
incompetent, then they will have already made the modifications necessary to
make sure that /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages is appropriately on your
PYTHONPATH and other such modifications.

> thanks a lot for any input there.
>

> Eric
> P.S.: I seem to then have problem with lapack_lite.so (undefined symbol:
> s_cat) and it may be linked

I don't think so. That looks like it might be a function that should be in
libg2c, but I'm not sure.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."