[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

Erin Sheldon erin.sheldon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 10:29:06 EDT 2006

On 6/30/06, Simon Burton <simon at arrowtheory.com> wrote:

> General confusion in the community. The whole numeric->numarray->numpy story
> is a little strange for people to believe. Or at least the source for
> many jokes.
> Also, there is no mention of numpy on the numarray page. The whole
> thing smells a little fishy :)

I can say that coming to numpy early this year I was confused
by this, and in fact I began by using numarray because the documentation
was available and clearly written.  I now support Travis on his book,
since none of this would be happening so rapidly without him, but as
I was looking for relief from my IDL license woes this turned me off a bit.

>From Googling, It just wasn't clear which was the future, especially since
as I dug deeper  I saw old references to numpy that were not referring
to the current project. I do think that this is more clear now, but the pages

   http://numeric.scipy.org/  --  Looks antiquated
   http://www.numpy.org/    -- is empty

are  not helping.  numeric.scipy.org needs to be converted to the
wiki look and feel of the rest of scipy.org, or at least made to look
modern.  numpy.org should point to the new page perhaps.  And
the numarray page should at least discuss the move to numpy
and have links.

Erin