[Numpy-discussion] .debs of numpy-0.9.8 available for Ubuntu Dapper

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu Jun 8 05:35:09 EDT 2006

Hi Andrew,

first thanks a lot for your effort - I am certain it
will be very much appreciated!

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Andrew Straw wrote:

> I've put together some .debs for numpy-0.9.8. There are binaries
> compiled for amd64 and i386 architectures of Ubuntu Dapper, and I
> suspect these will build from source for just about any Debian-based
> distro and architecture.
>
> The URL is http://sefton.astraw.com/ubuntu/dapper and you would add the
> following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
> deb http://sefton.astraw.com/ubuntu/ dapper/
> deb-src http://sefton.astraw.com/ubuntu/ dapper/
>
> Although this is the culmination of my first serious attempt Debianizing
> something, I've attempted to build these "properly" (using inspiration
> from Matthias Klose's Numeric and numarray packages for Debian and
> Ubuntu, although I've updated the build system to use CDBS).
>
> The numpy source has a build dependency on setuptools (0.6b2), which is
> also available at the repository. Numpy doesn't get installed as an
> .egg, but it carries along .egg-info, which means that numpy can be part
> of a setuptools dependency specification. This was done using the
> --single-version-externally-managed command for setuptools.
>
> I'm building this repository to serve some of my needs at work, and I
> hope to add recent versions of several other projects including
> matplotlib and scipy in the coming days. I hope to be able to keep the
> repository up-to-date over time and to respond to bug reports and
> questions, although the amount of time I have to devote to this sort of
> stuff is unfortunately often near zero.

Alright, let's start with the first question:
We are still running debian sarge and therefore would have to
build the above from source.
I used the following steps:
- put
    deb-src http://sefton.astraw.com/ubuntu/ dapper/
  into /etc/apt/sources.list
- apt-get update  # update the source package search list
- apt-get source python-numpy
- cd python-numpy-0.9.8/
  dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

and get:

dpkg-buildpackage: source package is python-numpy
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.9.8-0ads1
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: cdbs (>= 0.4.23-1.1)
build-essential python2.4-dev python-setuptools (>= 0.6b2)
python2.3-setuptools (>= 0.6b2) python2.4-setuptools (>= 0.6b2)
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Build conflicts: atlas3-base
dpkg-buildpackage: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting.
dpkg-buildpackage: (Use -d flag to override.)

What worries me is
a) the Build conflicts: atlas3-base
b) and the python2.3-dev *and* python2.4-dev dependency
Clearly, python-setuptools and cdbs are not yet installed
on my system (should be no problem).

> If I get some positive feedback, I'm likely to add this to the scipy.org
> download page. Also, I hope the official Debian and Ubuntu distros pick
> up numpy soon, and perhaps this will speed them along.

yes - that would be brilliant!

What about scipy: presently debian sarge comes with
scipy 0.3.2. Installing old-scipy and new-scipy side-by side
seems impossible (unless one does something like wxversion select
stuff...) - should the new scipy debs just replace the old ones?

Best, Arnd