[Numpy-discussion] Please comment on SVN versioning convention

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 21:16:33 EDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com> wrote:
> 1.0.2881 - This would sort after 1.0 (and 1.0b and 1.0c) and before 1.1
> for most tools out there.

I like that best.  Save the 1.1 prefix until it's actually released as such.

The numbering scheme needs to deal with what to call the patch tip of
the stable release branch, too.  I.e. the maintenance release after
1.0 with only critical patches for anyone who demands strict 1.0
compatibility.  The third number would be good for that.
Right now I see 1.1.2881 as my version.  I think this should probably
have an extra .0 in it: 1.1.0.2881.  That third number would be a
maintenance release number.

I also like the Linux even-odd system.  Then 1.0.0.1234 can mean "SVN
version on the 1.0 branch, leading up to maintenance release 1.0.1",
and 1.1.0.1234 can mean "SVN version on the trunk, leading up to 1.2
release."

--bb