[Numpy-discussion] What to do about numarray extension modules?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 18 18:57:42 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> I'm definitely -1 on putting them in numpy. numpy is large enough as it is. I'm
> -0 on making a standalone package. The time would be better spent on making sure
> that scipy subpackages can be downloaded, built and installed individually.

+1

The whole SciPy installation thing is HUGE! I now I still don't use any
of SciPy because I can't get it all built. Is it yet possible to build
SciPy on Fedora core 4 without lots of painful machinations?

When numpy was called SciPy.core, there was a lot of talk about how
SciPy needed to be broken up into individual packages, particularly the
Fortran and non-Fortran ones separated. It was a good idea then, and it
still is.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov