[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 15:36:20 EDT 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Charles R Harris wrote:
>> Thanks Travis,
>>
>> Your directions are very helpful and much appreciated.
> I placed these instructions at
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/MakingBranches
>
> Please make any changes needed to that wiki page.

I will add (here as well as the wiki) that using the svnmerge tool to be
enormously helpful in maintaining branches.

   http://www.dellroad.org/svnmerge/index

Among other things, it makes merge commit messages with the contents of the
individual commit messages, so history isn't lost when changes are merged back
into the trunk.

Here is how I tend to set things up for bidirectional merging:

(untested with this specific example, though)

   $ cd ~/svn/scipy
   $ svn cp http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk
http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/branches/mine
   $ svnmerge init http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/branches/mine
   $ svn commit -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt
   $ svn switch http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/branches/mine
   $ svnmerge init http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk
   $ svn commit -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt

Then, when you need to pull in changes from the trunk, view them with

   $ svnmerge avail

and pull them in with

   $ svnmerge merge
   $ svn ci -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt

When you're finally done with the branch, the same procedure on the trunk pulls
in all of the (real, not merged in from the trunk) changes you've made to the
branch.

Also, if you're only going to be making changes in one directory, I've found
that it's much easier to simply branch that directory and svn switch just that
directory over. That way, you don't have to worry about pulling in everyone
else's changes to the rest of the package into the branch. You can just svn up.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco