[Numpy-discussion] Version numbers again

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Jul 27 12:22:19 EDT 2006

I'm still looking for ideas on version numbering.

Right now, the trunk is at version 0.9.9  but this has bug-fixes from
the 1.0b1 release.  The next release will be 1.0b2 and should occur in
about a week.

I don't really like having the trunk use a 'lower' version number than
the releases but I'm not sure what to do.  The problem seems to stem
from wanting to have the version number sort somewhat reasonably when
the development number is tacked on.

Will it work to have the trunk reflect the version number that was most
recently released?  In other words we could have the trunk be
1.0b1.<svn_version>

So, a version number change doesn't happen until *after* the *next*
release.  Once 1.0b2 is tagged then the version number on the trunk
changes to 1.0b2?

When 1.0 comes out, then the trunk will be

1.0.<svn_version>

A branch will then also be made with version number

1.0.0.<svn_version>

when a 1.0.1 release is made the branch version number becomes

1.0.1.<svn_version>

I don't think this solves all the version numbering issues someone is
going to have if they use SVN-builds as a distribution, but perhaps it
might give some sense of order to the system.

-Travis