[Numpy-discussion] possible bug in seed argument

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 11:50:42 EDT 2006

Gary Ruben wrote:
> Should
>  >>> seed(1)
> act the same as
>  >>> seed(array([1]))
> in the random module?

No. They use slightly different mechanisms to seed. The integer uses RandomKit's
seeding routine. I borrowed Python's mechanism for seeding from an array of
integers. Now that it comes up, though, it is probably a good idea to use the
same mechanism for both cases.

> It generates a traceback with the Windows 1.0b1 binary.

Please always copy-and-paste tracebacks when reporting bugs. It works for me
with r2881; I'll rebuild with a later version and try again.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco