[Numpy-discussion] calling a f2py made module with numarray (mem shared with numpy ?)

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Wed Jul 19 00:04:47 EDT 2006

Hi,
Having to use Fortran again, I had a look at f2py ..
I looks really great !! Everything seems to run out of the box !!
Thanks a lot !

I think I tried
intend(inout)  <some array>  and then fed in an array object that really
  was an numarray as opposed to a numpy array.

I was surprised that the array did not get altered by the function !
If I assign numpyArray = numpy.asarray(numarrayArr)
don't numpyArray  and numarrayArr share identical memory for their data?

Another observation I made was that a C-contiguous array of rank 2 was
not accepted by 'intend(inout)' (the error message said that it had to
be FORTRAN-contiguous  - as opposed to the f2py documentation I read online
http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/usersguide/index.html#attributes
which says : fortran OR c contiguous )

Thanks for another great tool !
Sebastian Haase