[Numpy-discussion] Testing a self-compiled numpy

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 00:42:03 EDT 2006

Thanks for the reply Keith.

On 7/10/06, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman at gmail.com> wrote:

> One quick hack is to install the new numpy somewhere else and then
> rename the directory containing 0.9.8 to numpySTOP. Then you don't
> have to worry about the ordering of the path.

The  only thing is that the numpy installer built by the windows
instructions on the Wiki doesn't give you an option of where to install
numpy.  It installs straight to {PYTHON_DIR}\lib\site-packages\numpy.  (The
command suggested by the wiki is:

c:\path\to\python.exe setup.py config --compiler=mingw32 build
--compiler=mingw32 bdist_wininst
)

But yeh, in a similar vein I can just rename the current numpy directory to
numpy_98 or something like that before installing, and that seems to work.

I just thought there would be a more sophisticated way to test various
verisons of modules in Python than renaming directories.

I install in /usr/local/scipy/numpy (then it is easy to remove numpy