[Numpy-discussion] NumPy beta release plan

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 8 10:45:53 EDT 2006

On Saturday 08 July 2006 4:04 am, Stephan Tolksdorf wrote:
> Hi Travis,
>
> thanks for putting all the effort into NumPy.
>
>  > Unless there is a serious issue pointed out, the only thing that should
>  > be changed at this point are bug-fixes, documentation strings, and added
>  > tests.  Once 1.0b1 is released nothing but those things can be added.
>
> The beginning of the beta phase might also be the best time to address
> the most severe NumPy.distutils issues, so that all changes can be
> extensively tested during the beta:

The number of people in my lab using numpy/scipy/matplotlib is starting to
increase. Last week I was trying to get a couple of graduate students set up.
They were using MacOS X 10.4 with gcc3.3, and we were never successful in
getting numpy to build. I think the problem was the same as reported at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2006-March/016703.html. We
ended up getting things installed by installing scipy with fink.

>   - warning messages are only shown if compilation fails (NumPy should
> build warning free)

One of the guys I was working with tried installing every compiler out there
to get rid of all the compiler not found messages that were reported during
the attempted numpy builds. I guess he thought these messages were critical
errors, since they are rendered in red lettering.

Darren