[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 15:37:34 EDT 2006

Hey Chuck

CMake definately warrants investigation, but I think SCons might be a better
way to go. I think it would make it easier to reuse large parts of the
existing build code (e.g. conv_template.py could be converted into a SCons
builder without too much effort). Reusing parts of distutils and setuptools
would also be easier if the new tool is somehow Python-aware.

I think the main problem with distutils in the NumPy context is that it was
never designed to build C/Fortran code over so many platforms with to many
possible build configurations. python setup.py install works pretty well,
but any kind of non-default configuration can become a bit hairy, despite
the excellent work on NumPy extensions to distutils.

I'd like to take a stab at doing something with SCons in a few weeks' time.
Does anybody want to brainstorm on some ideas for what is needed from a
better build system for NumPy? Maybe a wiki page?

Regards,

Albert