[Numpy-discussion] Numpy and PEP 343

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Tue Feb 28 17:51:20 EST 2006

Lazy evaluation has been part of many array languages since early days
of APL (which makes this idea almost 50 years old).  I was
entertaining an idea of bringing lazy evaluation to python myself and
concluded that there are two places where it might fit

1. At the level of python optimizer a * x +  y, for example, can be
translated into a call to a call to axpy if a, x and y are known to be
arrays.  This aproach quickly brings you to the  optional static
typing idea. <http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=85551>

2. Overload arithmetic operators for ufunc objects.  This will allow
some form of tacit programming
<http://elliscave.com/APL_J/IversonAPL.htm> and you would be able to
write

f = multiply + multiply
f(x, y, z, t)

and have it evaluated without temporaries.  Both of these ideas are
from the pie-in-the-sky variety.