[Numpy-discussion] can't resize ndarray subclass

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Feb 28 12:11:11 EST 2006

Zachary Pincus wrote:

> In answer to my previous question, to get an ndarray subclass that
> owns its own data, copy() must be called on the new "view" of the
> subclass. This makes sense and is reasonable.
>
> However a new problem has me nearly tearing my hair out. Calling the
> resize method on an instance of such a subclass works fine. However,
> calling a method that calls 'self.resize' breaks! And worse, it
> breaks in such a way that then subsequent calls to resize also break.

Yeah, this is one difficult aspect of the resize method.  Because memory
is being re-allocated, the method has to make sure the memory isn't
being shared by another object.   Right now, it's checking the reference
count.  Unfortunately, that isn't a fool-proof mechanism as you've
discovered, because a reference can be held onto in somewhat
unpredictable ways that would not be bothered by a resize on the memory
and this messes up the resize method.

What is really needed is someway to determine if any other object is
actually pointing to the memory of the ndarray (and not just holding on
to the object).  But, nobody has figured out a way to do that.

It would be possible to let the user "force" the issue leaving it up to
them to make sure they don't share the memory and then reallocate it.
In other words, an extra argument to the resize method could be used to
bypass the memory check.   I'd be willing to do that because I know the
check being performed is not foolproof

-Travis