[Numpy-discussion] Faster fill

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Feb 27 21:43:02 EST 2006

Sasha wrote:

>On the second thought, it may be better to commit experimental changes
>to a branch in svn and merge to the trunk after review.  What do you
>think?

This is always possible.  It really depends on how significant the
changes are.  These changes are somewhat isolated to a single bit of
functionality (adding a new item to the function structure pointed to by
each PyArray_Descr shouldn't change anything else).

As long as svn compiles and passes all tests, I think it can be merged
directly.    I see branches as being needed when a feature requires more
testing and it is less clear how invasive the changes will be.

In this case, I would say go ahead and apply the feature directly..

>The patch passes numpy.test(10), but I don't think it tests
>ndarray.fill in any meaningful way.  I will probably need to add some
>tests.

Tests are always good.  In fact, it's an easy way for someone to
contribue, since there are a lot of features I have only tested using
examples in my book (the book examples serve as an additional set of
tests that I regularly run).

-Travis