[Numpy-discussion] Shapes and sizes

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 24 15:19:05 EST 2006

Albert Strasheim wrote:
> Personally, I think asarray(scalar) should return something that can
> actually be used as an array (i.e. has a proper shape and ndim),

What is the proper shape and numdim? Only your app knows.

What I generally do with a function i want to take an array or
"something that can be turned into an array" is to use asarray, then set
the shape to what I am expecting:

 >>> import numarray as N
 >>>
 >>> def rank1(input):
...     A = N.asarray(input)
...     A.shape = (-1)
...     print repr(A)
 >>> rank1((5,6,7,8))
array([5, 6, 7, 8])
 >>> rank1(5)
array([5])

 >>> def rank2(input):
...     A = N.asarray(input)
...     A.shape = (-1, 2)
...     print repr(A)
 >>> rank2((2,3))
array([[2, 3]])
 >>> rank2(((2,3), (4,5), (6,7)))
array([[2, 3],
        [4, 5],
        [6, 7]])

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov