[Numpy-discussion] matplotlib

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:35:03 EST 2006

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  My thinking was like this:
- matplotlib web pages don't mention support for numpy anywhere, just
numeric and numarray
- matplotlib web page says that the default is to use numeric
- numpy is basically the successor to numeric plus numarray functionality

- conclusion: if matplotlib actually does support numpy, and the web pages
are just out of date, then probably numpy would now be the default instead
of numeric, since it is the successor to numeric.

But apparently there's a flaw in that thinking somewhere.

--bb

On 2/14/06, Ryan Krauss <ryanlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> The point of the numerix setting in the rc file is that matplotlib
> can't tell you what is the best numerical package to use for your
> problem.
>
> On 2/13/06, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ah, ok.  You're right.  Doing from pylab import * was actually just
> > overwriting the definition of array and rand() to be those from Numeric,
> > which pylab was picking to use by default.   I guess my expectation was
> that
> > pylab would default to using the best numerical package installed.
> >
> > With "numerix : numpy" in my ~/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc file, it seems
> to be
> > working properly now.
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
> >
> > --bb

> > >     Bill> from numpy import * was the only line missing, called before
> > >     Bill> the rest.  It seems to work fine if I use from pylab import
> > >     Bill> * instead of import pylab as g
> > >
> > >     Bill> And actually if I do both in this order: import pylab as g
> > >     Bill> from pylab import *
> > >
> > >     Bill> Seems as if there's some
> > >     Bill> initialization code that only gets run with the 'from pylab
> > >     Bill> import *' version.
> > >
> > > As far as I know that is a python impossibility, unless perhaps you do
> > > some deep dark magic that is beyond my grasp.  pylab doesn't know how
> > > it is imported.
> > >
> > > Are you sure you have your numerix set properly?  I suggest creating
> > > two free standing scripts, one with the problem and one without, and
> > > running both with --verbose-helpful to make sure that your settings
> > > are what you think they are.  If you verify that numerix is set
> > > properly and still see the problem, I would like to see both scripts
> > > in case it is exposing a problem with matplotlib.
> > >
> > > Of course, doing multiple import * commands is a recipe for long term
> > > pain, especially with packages that have so much overlapping namespace
> > > and numpy/scipy/pylab.
> > >
> > > JDH

William V. Baxter III
OLM Digital