[Numpy-discussion] Constructing array from generator expression/iterator

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Wed Feb 8 15:05:03 EST 2006

Array constructor does not support arbitrary iterables.  For example:

>>> array(iter([1,2,3]))
array(<listiterator object at 0xf735c5cc>, dtype=object)

In Numeric, it was not possible to try to iterate throught the object
in array constructor because rank-0 arrays were iterable and would
lead to infinite recursion.  Since this problem was fixed in numpy, I
don't see much of a problem in implementing such feature.