[Numpy-discussion] Beta support for Numpy in PyTables

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Fri Feb 3 08:43:43 EST 2006

A Divendres 03 Febrer 2006 15:07, N. Volbers va escriure:
> I tried to install the beta and discovered that it is not possible to
> build w/o numarray. So is numpy just optional and numarray a requirement
> or will it be possible to build pytables only with numpy support ?

No, numarray is still a *requeriment* for compiling PyTables; NumPy
and Numeric are *not needed* at all for compilation.

However, if they are present (I mean, at run-time, not at
compile-time), they can be used both to provide input data to be
written to disk and to get output data read from disk. You can even
have different objects with different flavors (currently "numarray",
"numpy", "numeric" or "python") in the same PyTables file, so that you
can retrieve different objects (numarray, Numpy, Numeric or pure
Python) in the same session depending on its flavor (but of course,
this is not for the faint-hearted ;-). It is the magic of array
interface:

http://numeric.scipy.org/array_interface.html

that allows doing this in a very efficient manner.

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"