[Numpy-discussion] subclassing ndaray

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Fri Feb 24 17:41:14 EST 2006

Stefan van der Walt wrote:

>I see the same strange result.  Here is a minimal code example to
>demonstrate:
>
>import numpy as N
>
>class Bar(N.ndarray):
>    v = 0.
>
>    def __new__(cls, *args, **kwargs):
>	print "running new"
>	return super(Bar, cls).__new__(cls, *args)
>
>    def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
>	print "running init"
>	self[:] = 0
>	self.v = 3

It's only strange if you have assumptions your not revealing.  Here's
the deal.

Neither the __init__ method nor the __new__ method are called for c = b+1.

So, your wondering how the Bar object got created then right?  Well, it
got created as a subclass of ndarray in PyArray_NewFromDescr.

The __init__ and __new__ methods are not called because they may have
arbitrary signatures.  Instead,  the __array_finalize__ method is always
called.  So, you should use that instead of __init__.

The __array_finalize__ method always receives the argument of the
"parent" object.

Thus in your case.

       def __array_finalize__(self, parent):
             self.v = 3