[Numpy-discussion] Re: Some missing linalg things (wanted: LU decomposition)

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 23:38:08 EST 2006

Should have mentioned -- I was using numpy 0.9.4 / scipy 0.4.4.
Looks like it works in numpy 0.9.5 / scipy 0.4.6

But matplotlib, which I also need, hasn't been updated for numpy 0.9.5 yet.
:-(

It's also still pretty weird to me that you have to do "from
scipy.linalgimport lu" specifically.  And then after doing that one
import, then all the
other scipy.linalg.* functions magically spring into existence too.  Is that
sort of hing expected behavior from Python imports?

>>> import numpy as N
>>> import scipy as S
>>> S.linalg.lu
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'lu'
>>> from scipy.linalg import lu
>>> S.linalg.lu(N.rand(2,2))
(array([[ 0.,  1.],
       [ 1.,  0.]]), array([[ 1.        ,  0.        ],
       [ 0.18553085,  1.        ]]), array([[ 0.71732168,  0.48540043],
       [ 0.        ,  0.61379118]]))
>>> (N.__version__, S.__version__)
('0.9.5', '0.4.6')

--bb