[Numpy-discussion] Re: ***[Possible UCE]*** Test units on unicode types

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Feb 13 16:34:07 EST 2006

Francesc Altet wrote:

>Hi Travis,
>
>I've finished a series of tests on your recent new implementation of
>unicode types in NumPy. They discovered a couple of issues in Numpy: one
>is clearly a bug that show up in UCS2 builds (see the patch attached).
>The other, well, it is not clear to me if it is a bug or not:

Thanks very much for these tests...  They are very, very useful.

I recently realized that the getitem material must make copies for
misaligned data because the convert to UCS2 functions expect aligned
data (on Solaris anyway it would cause a segfault).

You caught an obvious mistake in that code.

Francesc Altet wrote:

>>>type(ia0.view())

<type 'int32scalar'>  !!!!!!

Do you think the next this is a bug or a feature? My opinion is that it
is a bug, but maybe I'm wrong. In fact, this has a very bad effect on
unicode objects in UCS2 interpreters:

Almost all of the methods right now, return scalars instead of
0-dimensional arrays on purpose.   This was intentional because
0-dimensional arrays were not supposed to be handed around in Python.
But, we were unable to completely eliminate them at this point.  So, I
suppose, though there are a select few methods that should not
automatically convert 0-dimensional arrays to the equivalent scalar.

.copy()  is one of them  *already changed*
.view()  is probably another *should be changed*.

If you can think of other methods that should not return scalars instead
of 0-dimensional arrays, post it.

-Travis