[Numpy-discussion] dtype names and titles

N. Volbers mithrandir42 at web.de
Sun Feb 12 01:03:04 EST 2006

(sorry Travis, I accidentally replied first to you directly, and not to
the list)

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> N. Volbers wrote:
>
>> [...]This seems to be caused by the fact that you can access a field
>> by both the name and the field title. Why would you want to have two
>> names anyway?
>

> This lets you use attribute look up on the names but have the titles
> be the "true name" of the field.

I still don't understand the reason for keeping two different names.
IMHO it adds some extra complexity and might be a potential source for
errors. If I keep an extra title in the array, then I think I should be
allowed to name it whatever I want. If this is not the case, then I
would be better off to just have unique field names and keep my extra
information about the fields in a separate dictionary with the field
names as keys and the extra information as value. This is my current
approach, which works quite well; unfortunately the extra information is
not saved in the array itself.

Is anybody actually using both names and titles?

Best regards,

Niklas.