[Numpy-discussion] More numpy and Numeric differences

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sat Feb 11 14:53:01 EST 2006

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> I have created a wiki page
>
>   http://scipy.org/PearuPeterson/NumpyVersusNumeric
>
> that reports my findings on how numpy and Numeric behave on various
> corner cases. Travis O., could you take a look at it?
> Here is the most recent addition:

I fixed the put issue.  The problem with clip is actually in choose
(clip is just a specific application of  choose).

The problem is in PyArray_ConvertToCommonType.  You have an integer
array, an integer scalar, and a floating-point scalar.

I think the rules implemented in PyArray_ConvertToCommonType are not
allowing the scalar to dictate anything.  But, this should clearly be
changed to allow scalars of different "kinds" to up-cast the array.
This would be consistent with the umath module.

So, PyArray_ConvertToCommonType needs to be improved.  This will have an
impact on several other functions that use this C-API.

-Travis