[Numpy-discussion] Advice please on efficient subtotal function

Stephen Simmons mail at stevesimmons.com
Fri Dec 29 19:22:16 EST 2006

Thanks Francesc, but I am already planning to read the data in block-wise as
you suggest. My question is rather how best to update the subtotals for each
block in a parallel way using numpy efficiently, rather than a simplistic and
slow element-by-element loop.

I can't use a simple sum(), as in your benchmark example or Greg's reply,
because I need to do:
    for n in xrange(len(data)):
        totals[ i[n], j[n] ] += data[n]
and not
    for n in xrange(len(data)):
        totals[n] += data[n]

My best solution so far is roughly like this:
 - read in next block of 100k or so rows (taking into account the PyTables
table's _v_maxTuples and _v_chunksize)
 - calculate the subtotal index arrays i and j
 - do a lexsort() on [i, j, n]
 - partition the sorted [i, j, n] into subsets where the i and j arrays change
values. The k_th such subset is thus
    s_k = [ i_k, j_k, [n_k0, ..., n_kN] ]
 - update the subtotals for each subset in the block
    totals[i_k, j_k]+= sum(data[n_k0, ..., n_kN])

This should be reasonably efficient, but it's messy, and I'm not familar
enough with numpy's indexing tricks to get this right first time.

Maybe instead I'll have a go at writing a Pyrex function that implements the
simple loop at C speed:
   subtotal2d(data_array, idx_array, out=None, dtype=None)
where data_array is Nx1, idx_array is NxM and out is M-dimensional.

Incidentally, there's one other function I'd find useful here in forming the
index arrays i[] and j[], a fast translate-from-dict function:
  arr2 = fromiter( d[a] for a in arr1 )
My initial impression is that a C version would be substantially faster; maybe
I should do some benchmarking to see whether a pure Python/numpy approach is
actually faster than I expect.

Cheers, and thanks for any further suggestions,

Stephen