[Numpy-discussion] Newbie Question, Probability

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 27 14:49:06 EST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> It is the
> combination of SciPy+NumPy+Matplotlib+IPython (+ perhaps a good IDE)
> that can succeed at being a MATLAB/IDL replacement for a lot of people.

> What is also needed is a good "package" of it all --- like the Enthon
> distribution.   This requires quite a bit of thankless work.

I know Robert put some serious effort into "MacEnthon" a while back, but
is no longer maintaining that, which doesn't surprise me a bit -- that
looked like a LOT of work.

However, MacEnthon was much bigger than that just the packages Travis
listed above, and I think Travis has that right -- those are the key
ones to do. Let's "just do it!" -- first we need to solve the
Fortran+Universal binary problems though -- that seems to be the
technical sticking point on OS-X

Also, while the Enthon distribution is fabulous, they do tend to stay
behind the bleeding edge a fair bit -- it would be nice to have the core
packages with the latest and greatest on Windows and Linux too, all as
one easy installer. (or rpm or .deb or whatever for Linux)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov