[Numpy-discussion] Newbie Question, Probability

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 16:43:28 EST 2006

Pierre GM wrote:
> On Thursday 21 December 2006 16:10, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>> I much prefer to make SciPy an easy install for as many people as
>> possible and/or work on breaking up SciPy into modular components that
>> can be installed separately if needed.
>
> Talking about that, what happened to these projects of  modular installation
> of scipy ? Robert promised us last month to explain what went wrong with his
> approach, but never had the time...

I created a module (scipy_subpackages.py, IIRC) next to setup.py that
essentially just served as a global configuration to inform all of the
setup.py's what subpackages they were supposed to build (mostly just
Lib/setup.py, actually). I then had a script run through the various collections
of subpackages that I wanted to build, set the appropriate values in
scipy_subpackages, and run setup() with the appropriate parameters to build an
egg for each collection.

However, build/ apparently needs to be cleaned out between each egg, otherwise
you contaminate later eggs.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."