[Numpy-discussion] Definition of correlation, correlate and so on ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Dec 12 22:19:20 EST 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:

> So rather than "fixing" the function, I would first propose introducing
> a function with a more descriptive name and docstring , for example you
> could steal the name 'xcorr' from matlab. Then if in fact the behavior
> of correlate is deemed to be an error, deprecate it and start issuing a
> warning in the next point release, then remove it in the next major release.
That was my idea too: specifiy in the docstring that this does not
compute the correlation, and put a new function xcorr (or whatever
name). The good news being this function is already done for rank up to
2, with basic tests... :)

> Even better, IMO,  would be if someone who cares about this stuff pulls
> together all the related signal processing stuff and moves them to a
> submodule so we could actually find what signal processing primitives
> are available. At the same time, more informative docstrings would be a
> great.

Do you mean signal function in numpy or scipy ? For scipy, this is
already done (module scipy.signals),

David