[Numpy-discussion] fromiter shape argument -- was Re: For loop tips

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Thu Aug 31 14:43:22 EDT 2006

Torgil Svensson wrote:
>> Yes. fromiter(iterable, dtype, count) works.
>>

> Oh. Thanks. I probably had too old documentation to see this (15
> June). If it's not updated since I'll give Travis a rest about this,
> at least until 1.0 is released :)

Actually I just knew 'cause I wrote it. I don't see a docstring for
fromiter, although I though I wrote one. Maybe I just forgot?

>> Regardless, L is only iterated over once.
>>

> How can this be true? If no size is given, mustn't numpy either loop
> over L twice or build an internal representation on which it'll
> iterate or copy in chunks?

Well, it can't in general loop over L twice since the only method that L
is guaranteed to have is next(); that's the extent of the iterator
protocol. What it does is allocate an initial chunk of memory (the size
of which I forget -- I did some tuning) and start filling it up. Once
it's full, it does a realloc, which expands the existing chunk or
memory, if possible, or returns a new, larger, chunk of memory with the
data copied into it. Then we iterate on L some more until we fill up the
new larger chunk, in which case we go get another one, etc. This is
exactly how list.append works, although in that case the chunk of data
is acutally a chunk of pointers to objects.

-tim