[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] NumPy 1.0b4 now available

schaffer at optonline.net schaffer at optonline.net
Sun Aug 27 16:17:50 EDT 2006

we have an Excel parser class with a method convert2RecArrayD that:

1. takes as input an Excel file name, plus an optional cell washing function (see below)

2. creates a recarray for each worksheet (we use UsedRange for the range of cells)
in the spreadsheet (via array()) and adds to a Python dict with keyword the name of the worksheet. the column -- errr field -- names are grabbed from the first row in each worksheet.

3. each cell in the spreadsheet is run thru the optional (else default) washer function. the default does unicode conversion plus some string.strip'ping

we are using the spreadsheets as Resource files for a database application. so we are
only reading the spreadsheets, not writing to them.

if this is useful, we'd be happy to put it somewhere useful.

Les