[Numpy-discussion] Is numpy supposed to support the buffer protocol?

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Aug 28 19:32:20 EDT 2006

Christopher Barker wrote:
> HI all,
>
> File
> "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",
> line 2814, in SetDataBuffer
>     return _core_.Image_SetDataBuffer(*args, **kwargs)
> TypeError: non-character array cannot be interpreted as character buffer
>
> If I try to pass in a numpy array, while it works great with a
> numarray array.

This error sounds like wx is using the *wrong* buffer protocol.  Don't
use bf_getcharbuffer as it is of uncertain utility.  It is slated for
removal from Python 3000.  It was meant to be used as a way to determine
buffers that were supposed to contain characters (not arbitrary data).

Just use bf_getreadbuffer and bf_getwritebuffer  from tp_as_buffer.

More support for the buffer protocol all the way around is a good idea.
  NumPy has always supported it very well (just make sure to use it
correctly).   FYI, I'm going to write a PEP to get the array protocol
placed as an add-on to the buffer protocol for Python 2.6

-Travis