[Numpy-discussion] Backward compatibility plans

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Fri Aug 4 15:07:21 EDT 2006

For backward-compatibility with Numeric and Numarray I'm leaning to the
following plan:

* Do not create compatibility array objects.  I initially thought we
could sub-class in order to
create objects that had the expected attributes and methods of Numeric
arrays or Numarray arrays.  After some experimentation, I'm ditching
this plan.  I think this would create too many array-like objects
floating around and make unification even harder as these objects
interact in difficult-to-predict ways.

Instead, I'm planning to:

1) Create compatibility functions in oldnumeric and numarray
sub-packages that create NumPy arrays but do it with the same function
syntax as the old packages.

2) Create 4 scripts for assisting in conversion (2 for Numeric and 2 for
Numarray).

   a) An initial script that just alters imports (to the compatibility
layer)
       and fixes method and attribute access.

   b) A secondary script that alters the imports from the compatibility
layer
       and fixes as much as possible the things that need to change in
order to
       make the switch away from the compatibility layer to work correctly.

While it is not foolproof, I think this will cover most of the issues
and make conversion relatively easy.  This will also let us develop
NumPy without undue concern for compatibility with older packages.

This must all be in place before 1.0 release candidate 1 comes out.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

-Travis