[Numpy-discussion] Toward release 1.0 of NumPy

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Tue Apr 18 06:24:09 EDT 2006

Sven Schreiber wrote:

>[Sorry for the late reaction, I was on vacation.]
>
>Tim Hochberg schrieb:
>

>>Here's my best guess as to what is going on:
>>   1. There is a relatively large group of people who use Kronecker
>>product as Alan does (probably the matrix as opposed to tensor math
>>folks). I'm guessing it's a large group since they manage to write the
>>definitions at both mathworld and planetmath.
>>

>Yes.
>

>>   2. kron was meant to implement this.
>>

>That's what I thought, anyway.
>

>>   2.5 People who need the other meaning of kron can just use outer, so
>>no real conflict.
>>   3. The implementation was either inappropriately generalized or it
>>was assumed that all inputs would be matrices (and hence rank-2).
>>
>>Assuming 3. is correct, and I'd like to hear from people if they think
>>that the behaviour in the non rank-2 cases is sensible, the next
>>question is whether the behaviour in the rank-2 cases makes sense. It
>>seem to, but I'm not a user of kron. If both of the preceeding are true,
>>it seems like a complete fix entails the following two things:
>>   1. Forbid arguments that are not rank-2. This allows all matrices,
>>which is really the main target here I think.
>>   2. Fix the return type issue. I have a fix for this ready to commit,
>>but I want to figure out the first part as well.
>>

>Both 1 and 2 sound very good to me as a user.
>
>So, should I still submit a new ticket about kron, or is it already
>being fixed?

Go ahead and submit a ticket if you would. I have a fix here, but I've
been waiting to submit it till I heard from some other people who use
kron (and because I've been swamped the last couple of days). If you
submit the ticket, that'll keep it from falling through the cracks.

Thanks for the feedback,

-tim