[Numpy-discussion] Freeing memory allocated in C

Nick Fotopoulos nvf at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 28 16:32:20 EDT 2006

Many thanks, with your help, I got it working without any leaks.  I
need to run on ~10 TB of data, so fixing this leak sure helps my
program scale.

One error in the code below is that PyString_FromFormat does not
accept %f, so I created a regular string and created the PyString
with PyString_FromString (it seems to copy data), then freed the
regular string.  Is there any better way to do that?

I'm curious why I didn't see any explanation of PyArray_DATA in the
NumPy book.  It seems really important, especially if you're touting
it as the Proper Strategy.

Finally, Robert encouraged me to stop using the legacy interface.
I'm happy to do so, but I have to cater to my users.  Approximately
old a version of Numeric (and Numarray) will still work with
PyArray_SimpleNew?

Thanks,
Nick

<snip>