[Numpy-discussion] array.min() vs. min(array)

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 06:41:08 EDT 2006

I think this is a great idea.  We get a lot of these kinds of
questions on the list, and the collective wisdom of people here who
have really dug into this is really impressive.  But, that wisdom does
need to be a little easier to find.

Speaking of which, I don't always feel like I get trustworthy results
out of the profiler, so when I really want to know what is going on I
find myself doing this alot:

t1=time.time()
[block of code here]
t2=time.time()
[more code]
t3=time.time()

and then comparing t3-t2 and t2-t1 to narrow down where the code is
spending its time.

Does anyone have good tips on how to do good profiling?  Or is this
question so vague and counter-intuitive that I seem silly and I had
better come back with a believable example?

Thanks,

Ryan