[Numpy-discussion] Re: Backporting numpy to Python 2.2

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Apr 24 17:40:04 EDT 2006

Tim Wegener wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to backport numpy-0.9.6 to be compatible with python 2.2. (Some of our machines run python 2.2 as part of Red Hat 9 and Red Hat 7.3 and it is hazardous to alter the standard setup.) I was able to change most of the 2.3-isms to be 2.2 compatible (see the attached patch). However I had problems compiling the following c module:

I targeted Python 2.3 because it added some very nice constructs (Python
2.4 added even more but I disciplined myself not to use them).

I think it is not impossible to back-port it to Python 2.2 but I agree
with Robert that I wonder if it is worth the effort.

In this case Python 2.3 added the bool type which is used in NumPy.
Basically this type would have to be constructed (the code could be
grabbed from Python 2.3) in order to be used.

The addition of the boolean type is probably the single biggest change
that would make back-porting to 2.2 difficult.

There may be others as well but they are probably easier to work around...

-Travis