[Numpy-discussion] Re: ndarray.fill and ma.array.filled

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Fri Apr 7 17:56:24 EDT 2006

On 4/7/06, Tim Hochberg <tim.hochberg at cox.net> wrote:
> [...]
> Perhaps MaskedArray should inherit from ndarray for the time being. Many
> of the methods would need to reimplemented anyway, but it would make
> asanyarray work. Someone was just complaining about asarray munging his
> arrays. That's correct behaviour, but it would be nice if asanyarray did
> the right thing. I suppose we could just special case asanyarray to
> ignore MaskedArrays, that might be better since it's less constraining
> from an implementation side too.

Just for the record.  Currently MA does not inherit from ndarray.
There are some benefits to be gained from changing MA design from
containment to inheritance, by I am very sceptical about the use of
inheritance in the array setting.

> This may be an oportune time to propose something that's been cooking in
> the back of my head for a week or so now: A stripped down array
> superclass.

This is a very worthwhile idea and I hate to see it burried in a
non-descriptive thread.  I've copied your proposal to the wiki at
<http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/ArraySuperClass>.