[Numpy-discussion] NumPy documentation

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 4 16:48:06 EDT 2006

Hi folks -

I must admit that when I first saw the trelgol web page, I was
briefly a bit confused and put off about the prospect of moving to
numpy from Numeric. Now, it didn't take long for me to come to my
senses and realize (a) that no formerly-free documentation had been
revoked, (b) that there was enough documentation about the C API in
the numpy distribution to get me started, (c) that there was a lot of
support available on the email list, and most importantly (d) that
Travis and many others are extremely generous with their time, both
in answering emails on the numpy list and in making numpy better.

I now of course wholeheartedly agree with everything everyone has
said in this thread, and with the idea behind selling the
documentation. In fact, I feel a bit ashamed that I ever felt
otherwise, even though it was just for a few minutes.

However, were I a more grumpy (or stupid) type, I might not have come
to my senses as rapidly, or ever. That would have been my loss, of
course. But, perhaps a few little things could help newcomers better
understand the rationale behind the ebook.

Basically, everyone on this list knows (and supports, it seems!) the
reasoning behind selling the docs, because it was discussed on the
list. However, it's not hard to imagine someone new to numpy, or
maybe a convert from Numeric (who was used to the large, free manual)
scratching their head a little when confronted with http://
www.tramy.us/ . (It's less reasonable to imagine someone then going
on to personally attack Travis in email -- that's absolutely
unconscionable.)

I would suggest that the link from the scipy page be changed to point
to http://www.tramy.us/guidetoscipy.html , which is a little more
clearly about the ebook, and a little less about the publishing
method. It might not hurt to expand a bit on that page and mention
the basic reasoning behind selling the docs, and even (if you see
fit, Travis) to maybe include links to the other numpy documentation
resources (list archive and sign up page, old and out-of-date Numeric
reference [with maybe some mention of why buying the book would be
better, but that the old ref at least gives the right high-level
picture to get a newcomer started using numpy], and the numpy wiki
pages). Any of this would certainly put a newcomer in a more
charitable state of mind, and forestall any lingering concerns about
greed or any such foolishness.

Since free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, feel free to
ignore any or all of this. I just wanted to mention a few easy things
that I think might help newcomers understand and feel good about the
ebook (the first step toward buying it!).

Zach