[Numpy-discussion] NumPy documentation

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 4 14:48:01 EDT 2006

Travis,

I'm very sorry to hear that you got such a response. It was completely
unwarranted. I am often quite surprised at the vitriol that sometimes
results from people that are not getting what they want from an open
source project.

Indeed, the comment about "suing" makes it completely clear that this
individual completely misunderstood your intentions (and the reality of
copyright law: you would only have a course of action if your book was
copied!).

When you first announced the book, I know there was a fair bit of
discussion about it, and you made it quite clear how reasonable your
position is. Personally, I think forcing open source projects by writing
and selling books about them is an excellent approach: it works well for
everyone. My freedom is not restricted, you get some compensation for
your time.

Ideally, I'd like to see comprehensive reference documentation
distributed for free, while more comprehensive explanatory docs could be
either free or not. One of these days I'll put my keyboard where my
mouth is and actually write a doc string or two!

In the meantime, I am absolutely thrilled that you've put as much effort
into numpy as you have. You are doing a fabulous job, and I hope the
appreciation of all is clear to you.

thank you,

-Chris

PS: If we get a reasonable budget next year, I'll be sure to buy a few
copies of your book.

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov