[Numpy-discussion] Re: Trying out Numeric3

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Mar 22 23:18:58 EST 2005

>>> Do 4 gigabyte 1D numerical python arrays occur in practice? If I
>>> understand correctly, the current implementation gives dimensions a
>>> different pointer type on different platforms. This will break
>>> extension modules on platforms other than 32-bits, as the extension
>>> module expects dimensions to be a pointer to int.
>>

>> This is a must have.   Yes, extension modules will have to be
>> recompiled and pointers changed on 64-bit platforms,  but this has to
>> be done.
>

> Why? There needs to be a good reason to break compatibility. Who needs
> this?

> --Michiel.

The "break compatibility argument" is not strong for me here.  We are
going to break compatibility in a few places.    I'm trying to minimize
them, but I don't want to chain ourselves to bad designs forever just
for the sake of compatibility.

For 32-bit systems there will be no problem, unchanged extension code
will work fine.
Unchanged extension code will not work on 64-bit systems.  The change is
not difficult (search and replace).  I submit that there are fewer
64-bit users out there currently, but they are going to grow, and will
eventually find Numeric a toy if the dimensions are limited to 32-bits
even on 64-bit systems.   The biggest problem is the 1 dimensional
array.  Here the 32-bit limit will byte you quickly.

-Travis