[Numpy-discussion] Status of numeric3 / scipylite / scipy_core

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Mar 16 22:33:50 EST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> - Where there is more than one index array, what should replace the
> single-axis subspaces that the indexes are referencing?   Remember,
> all of the single-axis subspaces are being replaced with one "global"
> subspace. The current proposal states that this indexing subspace
> should be placed first and the "remaining subspaces" pasted in at the
> end.
>
> Is this acceptable, or can someone see a problem??

Answering my own question...

I think that it makes sense to do a direct subspace replacement whenever
the indexing arrays are right next to each other.   In other words, I
would just extend the "one-index array" rule to
"all-consecutive-index-arrays" where of course one index array satisfies
the all-consecutive requirement.

Hence in the previous example:

X[:,ind1,ind2,:,:]  would result in a (10,2,3,4,40,50)  with the
(20,30)-subspace being replaced by the (2,3,4) indexing subspace.

result[:,i,j,k,:,:] = X[:,ind1[i,j,k],ind2[i,j,k],:,:]

Any other thoughts.  (I think I will implement this initially by just
using swapaxes on the current implementation...)

-Travis