[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-user] Current thoughts on future directions

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Mar 13 04:50:28 EST 2005

Pearu Peterson wrote:
>> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>>
>>> 1) There will be a scipy_core  package which will be essentially what
>>> Numeric has always been (plus a few easy to install extras already in
>>> current scipy_core).
>>> linalg (a lite version -- no fortran or ATLAS dependency)
>
> Again, what would be the underlying linear algebra library here?
> Numeric uses f2c version of lite lapack library. Shall we do the same
> but wrapping the c codes with f2py rather than by hand? f2c might be
> useful also in other cases to reduce fortran dependency, but only when
> it is critical to ease the scipy_core installation.

If I understand Travis correctly, the idea is to use Numeric as the
basis for scipy_core, allowing current Numerical Python users to switch
to scipy_core with a minimum of trouble. So why not use Numeric's lite
lapack library directly? What is the advantage of repeating the c code
wrapping (by f2py or by hand)?

--Michiel.