[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-user] Re[2]: [SciPy-dev] Future directions for SciPy in light of meeting at Berkeley

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Wed Mar 9 14:31:15 EST 2005

On 09.03.2005, at 17:52, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> To put it bluntly, I don't believe that someone who can't install
> scipy today is really capable of contributing code to scipy.  I

True, but not quite to the point. I can install SciPy, but given that
most of my code is written with the ultimate goal of being published
and used by people with less technical experience, I need to take those
people into account when choosing packages to build on.

> seriously doubt claims that scipy is scary or hard to install today.

I get support questions from people who are not aware that they need
root permissions to do "python setup.py install" on a standard Linux
system. On that scale of expertise, scipy *is* scary.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,